Friday, June 22, 2012

Methods, Approaches, and Inspirations


Inspired by Lanier, I envisioned myself talking about art just as much as I allow my students production time. I envisioned group analysis of abstract expressionist paintings, compare and contrasts exercises of Rockwell’s Easter Morning, 1959 with Goya’s Charles IV of Spain and his family, 1800, historic connections between the Trayvon Martin, Rodney King, and hoodies. Contemporary controversial artists such as Banksy and Andres Serrano just to spark debate, and a series of really exiting subject matter that would be great for a college environment or a perhaps junior high setting.
The reality is that I have landed a job at a Montessori school and I will be teaching art to a lower elementary group ages 6 through 9. Yay! I have read plenty of Olivia Gude to feel exited and inspired about this age group as well, but given my lack of experience in teaching I am feeling pretty lost.
 On a Montessori classroom, art lessons emphasize process, independence, and integration with all other content areas. Students are encouraged to think critically and work collaboratively. The curriculum is design for the understanding of abstract, universal concepts such as equity, freedom, and justice. Teachers are meant to serve as guides allowing children to find their own strengths. Great! It is the child who will decide when to work on clay or chalk, and for as long as he desire. This is true of all activities in a Montessori classroom.
What I have so far gathered from the preparatory educational courses at UF, Key art understandings and inquiry should guide lesson plans which also should include the four areas of art education: Art criticism, aesthetics, art history and art production. Can I use a DBAE model on a Montessori classroom? Or will I have to rely on a more traditional approach o art education that emphasizes art production?



No comments:

Post a Comment